So, like a year ago in September, I decided that I wanted to make a sweater and started a really easy pattern. I can’t really remember it now, but it was some kind of tunic from Berrocco’s website, I think. Anyway, I altered it a little because the pattern was to be knit flat and seamed up and I didn’t want to deal with seaming, so I am knitting it in the round. I’ll pick up stitches for the sleeves, so the only actual seaming I’ll have to do is the top of the shoulders. Anyway, I worked on it pretty diligently for a couple of weeks, but I think that the endless rows of stockinette finally got the better of me and I quit.
And, so it sat, and sat, and sat, and sat (I’m starting to sound like the book Once Upon a Potty here…). At New Year’s, I made a resolution to finish it by March. Instead, I didn’t even touch it at all.
Well, I’ve got everything that I’m currently working on off the needles right now, so I figured that I’d pull it out and perhaps have a sweater to wear this winter (if it turns out being wearable), and thanks to a girls’ knit night last night (yay!! Total fun…next one is at my house, girls:)), I finally got to the length that I thought was appropriate to split for the sleeves. I did that this morning.
Splitting for the sleeves is either very difficult, or I was totally doing it wrong, because I felt like a total moron trying to get the cable through half of the stitches to hold while I’m working on the front. I have to knit up the front eight inches, and then switch to the back and do the same, and then seam them together save for the neck hole, and then I can pick up the sleeves and start to knit them down. Now that I have the interchangeable needle set, I think I’ve got a cable short enough to be able to knit them down without DPNs, which I’m glad about, not because I don’t love dpns, but because I think there’ll be too many stitches involved, and mine aren’t that long.
Here are a few pics….sorry for the crappy lighting, but we keep the lights kind of low at the house to save electricity:
I just looooooove this color. It’s one of Bernat’s yarns, and it’s really really soft. It’s a deep purple with grey in it also. Absolutely one of my favorite colors. I’m a little nervous about getting the roll out of the bottom, though, because it’s acrylic. I don’t know that it’ll block out well. It’s making me wish I had either done some ribbing at the bottom or done a few rows of garter stitch, which I also think would look pretty freaking awesome. I think that the next one I do will be a yoked sweater. I’m really wanting to do Jared Flood’s Cobblestone for Joey.