I’ve had some turnips in the fridge since…well, Christmas. I squeezed them a couple of days ago and they were still firm, so I decided that we should do some simple roasted Root Vegetables for easy meals.
First, I know Brussels Sprouts aren’t root vegetables, but it needed something green.
- 4 turnips
- 5 carrots
- 5 red potatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 bags of frozen brussels sprouts
- A couple of hours before cooking, thaw the brussels sprouts in a colander in the sink. The colander will allow excess moisture from freezing to drain.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 425*
- Cut vegetables into medium-sized chunks (probably around the size of your thumb). Leave the onion chunks together (rather than separating the layers)
- spray a baking sheet (you may need two or three depending on the size)
- lightly salt the veggies and spread out onto one layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender but have some dark “roasted” spots.
- Serve warm with whatever seasonings you’d like!
The first time I had them this week, I added ketchup. For lunch today, I added a little garlic powder, onion powder, basil and oregano, salt and pepper, and some parmesan cheese. Yum!