Today is going to be a good day! It’s MLK day, so I’ve got the day off, and the morning is being spent like this:
I can never pass up a Shellikins on the lap; it’s a rarity for me, since she usually wants to be on Joey all the time. So, it dawned on me that, because things were so crappy, I’d neglected to post the resolutions I finally came up with for the year. Here we go!
- Further My Education; (1) Graduate, (2) complete PhD applications
- Improve my health, fitness, and weight. (1) reduce takeout to once a week, and make it last two meals if possible. (2) Plan meals one week in advance. (3) eat mostly paleo and reduce refined carbs, (4) incorporate exercise every day!
- Lead a more peaceful life/reduce stress: (1) Yoga at least once a week, (2) read Bible and pray every day, (3) have one fun outing with Joey every week, (4) establish morning and evening routines, both for myself and with Shelli, (5) incorporate 15 minutes of cleaning the house per day.
- Be a better friend/more thoughtful person
- Tighten back up financially, (1) the aforementioned reduction in takeout, (2), meal planning (getting our grocery/toiletries budget back down to $50 per week)
In an effort to improve both #2 and #5, we bought a Wii with the Wii Fit Plus package! It was a bit of a steep up-front cost, yes, but when we did the math, we’ll save about $300 over the year over our memberships to our gym, which just isn’t convenient to us and doesn’t really fit our schedules. I prefer to workout in the morning, but to do that, I have to get there at 5 am, right when the gym opens. As much as I’d like to, I just can’t get myself up at 4:40 to be ready to leave at 4:45. However, I can get up at 4:55 to do thirty minutes in the morning before I get in the shower! Or even get up at 5 to do 30 minutes since it won’t really hurt to be five minutes later.
Here’s our home-screen:
- I do not appreciate that the little voice goes “Oooh!” when I step on the balance board/scale.
- It hurt to see my BMI and have the little voice tell me I’m obese and to imitiately change my Mii (avatar) into the chubby girl you see above.
- It’s TOTALLY awesome that you can enter your pet! Shelli is just under 8 pounds, by the way, which is very healthy for her, so we’re not trying to change her weight with it. However, she did NOT appreciate being held so that we could get her weight. She got pretty pissed.
- It’s FUN! It’s really nice to have something to work toward, and the games are great for a workout. When I played it at my friend Katie’s house over the weekend, I was really sore the next day from the workout that I got…but it doesn’t usually feel like exercise because it’s a game. Good stuff!
In other news, my prospectus draft has been submitted and I’ve gotten feedback, so the next step is revision and resubmittal, and then hopefully it’ll be good enough for submission to my committee for the meeting. I’m feeling positive about it now rather than overwhelmed and my advisor is very involved in my progress, so I don’t feel nearly as lost. Middle Eastern Lit has been interesting so far; I’ve read The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid, which was thought provoking and made me uncomfortable with my own thoughts/beliefs and assumptions. That’s the sign of a good book, my friends; confronting uncomfortable realities isn’t a bad thing. Too many people shy away from it.
That’s all; Maury is about to come on!